News from Bergenfield: Notices, Announcements, & Community Events
Bergen New Bridge Medical Center, in Partnership with the County of Bergen will be hosting a regional community mobile COVID-19 testing site for those with or without symptoms
Testing will be done at the Richard Rodda Community Center, 250 Colonial Court, in Teaneck on Tuesday, October 27, and at the old ShopRite lot, 814 River Road, in New Milford. Those interested in being tested should arrive between 9:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. with proper identification, proof of residency and your insurance card, if applicable. Flu shots will also be available on a first come, first serve basis.
Please note that priority processing will be given to Bergen County public school staff and faculty between 1:30 and 2:30 p.m. and all testing is weather permitting. For more information, please visit co.bergen.nj.us.
The Bergenfield VFW, Post 6467, is hosting a garage sale on Friday, October 30 and Saturday, October 31 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. All proceeds will benefit Homeless Tails, a nonprofit, animal rescue organization. The VFW is located at 321 S. Washington Avenue and the garage sale will be held inside the hall.
You may also pick-up the ballot in-person from the County Clerk's office located at One Bergen County Plaza in Hackensack. If you pick-up the ballot, you may complete your ballot and deposit it into the drop box located in front of the County Clerk's office.
Should you have any questions, please contact the Clerk's office at 201-387-4055 ext. 6.
Vegetative waste collection in cans and in paper bags has ended as of 10/16/20, as marked on the 2020 garbage & recycling pickup schedule calendars. Vegetative waste collection in cans and in paper bags will resume April 2021. From 10/17/20 - 12/4/20, please put your leaves and grass directly on the street in piles by the curb. Please keep leaf and grass piles away from storm drain grates. Vegetative waste will not be picked up in cans again until April 2021. Please place all leaves and grass in piles directly on the street by the curb. If you have branches, please cut the branches into 4 feet lengths, bundle the branches, tie the branches, and place the branches in a separate pile at the curb. From 10/17/20 - 12/4/20, there is no longer a scheduled pickup day for leaves, grass, and branches (cut into 4 feet, bundled, tied & in separate pile). From 10/19/20 through the beginning of December, the DPW will be going street by street through the Borough collecting leaves, grass, and branches (cut into 4 feet, bundled, tied & in separate pile). The DPW will make several rounds to collect, but please put your material out as soon as possible (before 12/4/20). The approximate area where the DPW ended collection each day, and the approximate area where the DPW will begin collection the next day, will be posted on the Borough website each week day (except for holidays) beginning on 10/26/20. Please check the Borough website for daily collection updates beginning 10/26/20, so that you will have a general idea of where the DPW will be collecting leaves/grass/branches day to day: www.bergenfield.com. Please remember that 12/4/20 will be the last day that leaves/grass/branches can be placed on the street for pickup. After 12/4/20, any remaining leaves/grass/branches must be held until April 2021 when weekly vegetative waste collection in cans and in paper bags resumes. Please place all of your leaves/grass/branches (cut into 4 feet, bundled, tied & in separate pile) in the street on or before 12/4/20. Please reference the front and back of your 2020 garbage & recycling pickup schedule calendars for information related to vegetative (V) waste pick-up. For a copy of the 2020 garbage & recycling pickup schedule calendar for your quadrant, please click HERE.
The Board of Health Public meeting originally scheduled for Tuesday, October 13th 2020 has been rescheduled for Tuesday, October 20th 2020 at 7:00PM. Due to the current state of emergency and public health emergency declared by Governor Murphy pursuant to Executive Order No. 103, and in an effort to prevent further spread of COVID-19, the meeting will be held via Zoom. Members of the public can join this meeting from their computer, tablet or smartphone. Members of the public who join this meeting will be able to give public comment during the open hearing portions of the meeting. Below, please find the link to the meeting:
The Bergenfield Community Foodbank has moved to its permanent home in the basement of Borough Hall. The foodbank will be open on Mondays from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. and on Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Anyone visiting the foodbank is asked to use the Building Department entrance on the right side of Borough Hall.
The foodbank is continuing to accept food and monetary donations. For more information about how to contribute, visit the foodbank or to discuss how the Borough can assist those who cannot leave their homes, please call 201-387-4055 ext. 6.
There is bulk garbage pick-up in Quadrant 3 (Southeast Quadrant) this Wednesday 10/21/2020.
Bulk garbage pick-up is on schedule for all quadrants as listed on the 2020 garbage & recycling pick-up schedule calendars. Please reference your 2020 pick-up schedule calendar for the bulk (B) pick-up day in your quadrant. 2020 garbage & recycling pick-up schedule calendars may be found by clicking HERE.
As a reminder, please note:
- Bulk pickup is for residential properties ONLY.
- The DPW does NOT pickup contractor debris, concrete, bricks, asphalt, rocks, mortar, stone, cultured stone, or any stone-like material, wet paint, chemicals, tires, fluorescent lightbulbs, vehicle batteries, rechargeable batteries, propane/fuel tanks, fire extinguishers, TVs, computer monitors, computer towers/computer CPUs, laptops, tablets, printers, fax machines.
- The limit per bulk day is 4 pieces of household furniture, 2 household appliances (ex. air conditioning (AC) unit, oven, washer, dryer, refrigerator - DOORS MUST BE OFF), and 1 carpet or rug that does not exceed 12 feet in length and/or 1 foot in diameter (including the pad) or a mixture of fragments from a carpet or rug of said size. The DPW will not collect carpets removed professionally.
- Water heaters must have a Borough-issued inspection sticker on them, or they will not be picked up. Please call the Building Department to schedule an inspection: 201-387-4055 option 4
- Bulk may not be placed at the curb any earlier than 6:00pm the night before bulk pick-up collection in your quadrant. Bulk may be placed at the curb after 6:00pm the night before bulk pick-up collection day in your quadrant. Bulk must be placed at the curb at least before 6:00am on the bulk pick-up collection day in your quadrant.
- There is bulk pick-up on scheduled bulk pick-up days only. There are no special pick-ups. Please reference your 2020 pickup schedule calendar for the bulk (B) pickup day in your quadrant by clicking HERE.
- Please take the following items to a BCUA collection event: wet paint, chemicals, tires, fluorescent lightbulbs, vehicle batteries, rechargeable batteries, propane/fuel tanks, fire extinguishers, electronics. For 2020 BCUA Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events & BCUA 2020 Tire Recycling/Electronics Recycling/Mobile Paper Shredding Events locations, dates, times & list of accepted items, please click HERE.
- The DPW does NOT collect brick, mortar, stone, concrete, cultured stone, or any stone-like material; the homeowner must dispose of these privately. All bulk refuse generated by a private contractor (contractor debris), or trade waste generated by any business, shall be removed at their own expense and risk.
- The following electronics ONLY are accepted at the Bergenfield Recycling Center:TVs, computer monitors, computer towers/computer CPUs, laptops, tablets, printers, fax machines. The Bergenfield Recycling Center is located at 198 N. Washington Ave, behind the DPW building (the DPW building is the building behind Borough Hall). The Bergenfield Recycling Center hours are Mon-Fri 8:00am-3:00pm, Sat 9:00am-1:00pm, Sun 1:00pm-4:00pm (Closed on Holidays).
- PAINT must be dried solid & put out at curb on bulk (B) pickup day ONLY with the lid off. Wet paint must be taken by the resident to a BCUA Household Hazardous Waste Collection Event. For 2020 BCUA Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events & BCUA 2020 Tire Recycling/Electronics Recycling/Mobile Paper Shredding Events locations, dates, times & list of accepted items, please click HERE.
- Vegetative waste (grass, leaves, shrubs, branches, yard waste) is NOT collected on bulk day. Please reference your 2020 pickup schedule calendar for the vegetative waste (V) pickup day in your quadrant by clicking HERE.
- Recycling (paper, cardboard, cartons, bottles, cans, plastic #1/#2/#5) is NOT collected on bulk day. Please reference your 2020 pickup schedule calendar for the recycling (R) pickup day in your quadrant by clicking HERE.
For reference: Ord. No. 17-2517
The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection is hosting its annual Free Fishing Day on Saturday, October 17. During this time, fishers are permitted to fish without first purchasing a license and all other state regulations apply.
Bergenfield residents are reminded that Coopers Pond is open for catch and release fishing.
For more information, visit the Division of Fish and Wildlife website.
News from the Bergenfield Department of Public Works
News from the Bergenfield Health Department
News from the Bergenfield Public Library
News from the Bergenfield Office of Emergency Management
News from the Bergenfield Recreation Department
Updates on the impact of the COVID-19 / 2019 Novel Coronavirus ("Coronavirus Disease") upon the Bergenfield community, and the actions the Borough is taking
Periodic messages from Bergenfield Mayor Arvin Amatorio
Check here for updates and information about our 125 anniversary celebration events & activities.